October 06, 2022
As we've said goodbye to another 'Second Hand September', here at W&W we know it shouldn't just be for one month, we're forever on the lookout for pre-loved beauties for you to add to your wardrobe. Whether you're looking for an item you missed out on the first time around or a timeless forever piece, we're here to share our personal top tips for buying Vintage.
We pride ourselves on the fact that we always say if one of us wouldn’t wear it, we won’t stock it, so it makes sense to us that our store is now at least 50% W. Vintage, just like our own wardrobes.
Scroll down to discover our top tips for vintage shopping.
This gorgeous late 70's deep blue midi dress is now online in our W. Vintage Section along side more Vintage gems handpicked by us
Our Top Vintage Shopping Tips
* It sounds obvious but begin your vintage journey by sticking to your usual style and pieces you can incorporate into your existing wardrobe.
* We advise to start with a basic item like a blouse, trench coat or blazer. You'll get lots of wear out of one of these pieces and can pick them up quite reasonably.
* Be aware that vintage styling is smaller and past decades had quite differing proportions but don't get too hung up on size. Make use of a good tailor - bigger can always be made smaller, shorter....
* Holes and stains can usually be repaired if not too large.
* Use a specialist dry cleaner for delicate materials like Silk and pure Wool. Polyester can be thrown in your washing machine (top tip - add some antibac into the wash for an extra good clean)
* Any decent seller will be able to give you detailed measurements if you ask.
* Look at car boot sales, fairs and charity shops as well as online apps like EBAY and DEPOP
* Look at men's vintage (1970's men's suit/dinner jackets are beautifully cut and are often sold in a 3 piece)
* Balance is key here, avoid head to toe vintage or you'll look too fancy dress. Incorporate something Vintage alongside high street, fashion led pieces.
* You can pick up Vintage accessories like bags, sunglasses, jewellery & scarfs really reasonably if you have a good rummage.
* After a few times it gets easier and you'll be able to listen to your own instincts and have a more open mind, be open to different colours and textures. Pre-loved shopping can be the most fun, you never know what you might come home with!
Vintage Leather Bag
Vintage Beaded Jacket
Late 70's Jacket
Jane & Hannah xx
December 07, 2022
December 05, 2022
December 03, 2022